The nation’s oldest Christian religious freedom advocacy legal organization, the Center for Law & Religious Freedom, is looking for an experienced attorney to join its legal team. The Center’s staff is dedicated to advancing religious freedom for all Americans and protecting the sanctity of human life.
We seek a highly qualified attorney to work within a multi-disciplinary, collaborative environment. The attorney’s responsibilities will include litigation, appellate brief writing, and governmental affairs work. Because the position involves a high degree of professional discretion and limited oversight by senior attorneys, the attorney must be self-motivated and demonstrate outstanding practical judgment. The attorney must be experienced at drafting a variety of legal documents, advising clients, and engaging in public advocacy through public speaking, media interviews, and writing in a variety of contexts.
- Conducting legal research;
- Writing extensively in a variety of contexts;
- Developing expertise in statutory and case law that is applicable to religious freedom and the sanctity of human life;
- Responding to requests for assistance from the religious community;
- Interviewing prospective clients;
- Writing letters on behalf of clients to government entities;
- Representing clients in court and before administrative government agencies;
- Drafting legislative and regulatory language;
- Developing relationships with other religious freedom and pro-life organizations;
- Responding to media requests;
- Performing duties as assigned by your supervisor(s).
- 5+ years of experience;
- Law degree and admission to the bar;
- Excellent research, writing, and analytical skills;
- Experience with trial court motion practice and discovery;
- Ability to communicate effectively with the legal community and the media;
- Organizational skills;
- Strong attention to detail and proven project management skills.
CLS offers a compensation and benefits package that includes health and dental benefits and retirement plan. All employees must be able to sign the CLS Statement of Faith and subscribe to our Community Life Statement.
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file with your name in the file name to CLSHQ@CLSNET.ORG:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in the position with an emphasis on how your experience aligns with the position’s responsibilities;
- Two writing samples, including a lengthy document, preferably a brief, as well as a short piece, such as a letter or an article for a blog or other publication.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position but will contact only those to whom we offer an interview. All correspondence should be by email and not by phone.