Position Announcement – Staff Attorney
Christian Legal Aid of DC (“CLADC”) is seeking to hire a Staff Attorney, beginning as soon as possible. CLADC exists to provide access to justice with the love of Christ. Our team primarily mobilizes volunteer attorneys and law students to provide free legal services to our neighbors in the Washington, DC area who cannot afford to hire an attorney, and as a result, do not have equal access to justice. With this new position, we are expanding our capacity to provide legal services to even more of our neighbors. In everything we do, we aim to point to Jesus as our ultimate hope and we root our services in prayer for our clients, volunteers, and city.
Why you should apply:
If you are excited about using your legal credentials to advance justice, praying with and for others, and working with a collaborative team in a flexible work setting, you could be an excellent fit for this position.
Position Description & Duties:
The Staff Attorney will focus on expanding access to justice by providing compassionate, high quality legal advice, referrals, and in select cases, brief services, or extended representation. The primary duties of the Staff Attorney include:
- Christ-like example: The Staff Attorney, relying on his or her faith and relationship with Jesus Christ, should endeavor to be an example to volunteers and other staff of loving our neighbors and assisting them with their legal and spiritual needs.
- Direct legal services:
- Meet with low-income individuals referred by community partners, in-person, up to two days per week to provide legal information and advice across a broad range of civil legal issues. Consultations may take place in English or Spanish, so fluency in Spanish and English is required.
- Maintain an active caseload of matters that fall within CLADC’s core practice areas: housing, probate, estate planning, criminal record sealing, and Social Security matters.
- Represent clients in all stages of the litigation process, including interviewing clients, drafting complaints and motions, filing and responding to discovery, preparing for hearings and trials, and representing clients at hearings and trials.
- Maintain client and matter data in CLADC’s case management system.
- Organizational Support. The Staff Attorney will support CLADC’s annual events and fundraising efforts led by the Executive Director, and other activities as may be reasonably determined by the Executive Director.
Requirements & Qualifications
A commitment to Christ in all that we do is essential to the fulfillment of CLADC's mission. Additional requirements include:
- Mature, orthodox Christian faith as defined by the Apostle’s Creed;
- Current Washington, DC bar membership or eligibility to be admitted to the DC Bar;
- 1-3 years of experience providing direct legal services to clients;
- Fluency in English and Spanish;
- Creative problem-solving skills, patience, and flexibility;
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and willingness to ask for help when needed;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Experience in at least one or two areas of public interest law (e.g., housing, probate, estate planning, criminal record sealing, and Social Security benefits);
- Experience serving clients with lower incomes.
Candidates who are passionate about our mission and the duties described, are eager to learn, and have demonstrated legal acumen should apply even if they do not have all of the preferred experience.
Salary and Benefits
- Salary commensurate with relevant experience with eligibility for annual bonuses;
- Health and dental insurance;
- Hybrid work (on-site and from home) with flexible hours;
- Support for professional development; and
- Generous paid federal holidays, office closure for winter break, vacation, personal, and sick leave.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Applications should include a cover letter, resume, and list of three references (including one pastoral reference). In your cover letter, please include a brief description of your faith and how it impacts your decision to apply for this position.
Submit all application materials via email to:
Job posted 11/5/2022