In-House Counsel (Part-Time)
Position at CRISTA Resources, Seattle, WA
Compensation is between $65,000 to $68,000 per year DOE.
Benefits for PT employees 20-29 hours/week. Retirement plan participation, paid time off accrual, holiday pay, bereavement pay, King’s tuition discount, service awards and the commute subsidy. Travel up to 2x/yr
CRISTA exists to make known the love of Jesus Christ through demonstrated works of service and ministry. We use every method available so that the people of the world may hear the Gospel, accept Christ as their Savior, and grow in their faith. We are a united yet diverse family of Biblical Ministries inspired by a shared vision to serve and impact the young through the elderly, all cultures and backgrounds, in our own backyard and around the world through excellence in our service and operations. By leading a healthy and sustainable organization, CRISTA empowers its ministries to serve the needs of the world and share the Gospel, making disciples. Our commitment is to glorify, honor and obey the Lord in all we do through a workforce of staff and volunteers who are called, committed, and faithful Christians.
CRISTA is five distinct ministries, each with their own vision and mission. And yet, they are all part of the CRISTA family. Each ministry has answered the call to serve in their unique way, striving together toward one goal—to draw people into a transforming relationship with Christ. From World Concern’s relief and development efforts around the globe; from CRISTA Media’s stations that broadcast uplifting messages and music through your radio dials to the fireside songs that bring joy to campers year-round at CRISTA Camps; from the young minds equipped with knowledge at King’s Schools to the seniors receiving exceptional care at CRISTA Senior Living. Whether traversing the globe or right in our backyard, the CRISTA family of ministries is empowered to meet the needs of those we serve.
CRISTA is seeking a mature, organized and prayerfully discerning individual to fill the role of In-House counsel who will work under the direction and supervision of the General Counsel. The In-House counsel will be responsible for partnership in ministry legal affairs such as providing legal advice, guidance and instruction; drafting and reviewing legal documents; researching legal issues relevant to the work of CRISTA both domestically and internationally, and performing other duties as assigned. The in-house counsel will provide support in areas of the law which include but are not limited to: contracts, education, employment, fundraising, intellectual property, real property, FCC, and religious liberty.
This position is seeking a dynamic, committed, prayerful and polished professional to join our team. This position will entail a great deal of learning but will also be an excellent fit for a lawyer who is passionate about supporting the evangelical needs of the organization and is excited about expanding their practical knowledge in multiple areas of the law.
(General overview and may not include all details of responsibilities)
- Spiritual Growth and Commitment:
- A mature Christian who is committed to continued spiritual growth and development as evidenced through a consistent personal walk with God (e.g. daily spiritual rhythm of prayer, fellowship, Bible study, etc).
- Prayerfully seek God’s will for CRISTA in all legal matters.
- Minister to the needs of fellow staff and colleagues through prayer, leading devotionals and other spiritual practices.
Legal Support and Compliance:
- Work cooperatively and collaboratively with staff to create effective and risk-mitigating solutions which serve the needs of the ministry.
- Understand and anticipate the legal issues/needs facing the organization and translate them into easily understood and best practice legal advice and
- Write, review and advise on contracts and contract compliance matters.
- Research legal issues and author legal opinions as needed.
- Stay informed on up-to-date legal changes and developments.
- Assist in organizational transactions as needed.
- Monitor domestic and international intellectual property, including filing new registrations and maintaining existing registrations.
- Participate in formulating policies and practices for CRISTA related to legal compliance.
- Work collaboratively with supervisor and coworkers, including engagement in meetings and planning sessions as necessary and/or as assigned by supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Conduct that reflects well on CRISTA Ministries and aligns with its mission, vision, Statement of Faith and Christian Community Representative Commitment (CCC).
- Belief that Jesus Christ is Lord and Savior
- Ongoing affirmation, alignment with and support of CRISTA’s Statement of Faith and Christian Community Representative Statement (CCC).
- Demonstrates the values of a CRISTA leader.
Doctor of Jurisprudence
Three or more years of related legal experience in private practice, non-profit or for-profit corporations. Previous experience should include success with providing sound legal advice on complex issues, authoring legal opinions and conveying legal matters to leadership.
SOFTWARE / EQUIPMENT KNOWLEDGE
Advanced knowledge and use of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment in which priorities may shift to support the evolving needs of the organization.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and outstanding attention to detail.
Understands, practices, and champions ethical business behaviors.
- Able to think creatively and work independently while meeting aggressive deadlines and juggling multiple matters.
- Proactive and positive approach to addressing issues and working with others as a team.
Able to build strong relationships with co-workers of various backgrounds and expertise.
- Demonstrate strong skills in negotiations, problem solving, verbal and written communications, and task management and prioritization.
- Process-oriented and organized.
- Enjoy working independently and as a team member while solving complex challenges.
Doctor of Jurisprudence
Five or more years of related legal experience with compliance, litigation and risk mitigation in private practice, non-profit or for-profit corporations. Previous experience should include success with providing sound legal advice on complex issues, authoring legal opinions and conveying legal matters to leadership.
LICENSURE / CERTIFICATION
A current license to practice law in Washington State with no record of attorney discipline in any jurisdiction.
STATEMENT OF NON-DISCRIMINATION
CRISTA is a Christian, religious organization that lives out its faith-based mission through five ministries: CRISTA Camps, CRISTA Media, CRISTA Senior Living, King’s Schools, and World Concern. As permitted by Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, CRISTA reserves the right to prefer employees of a particular religion and to require its employees to hold certain religious beliefs, engage in certain religious observances, and engage in or refrain from engaging in certain behavior, based on CRISTA’s religious beliefs. CRISTA’s employees must agree with and support without reservation CRISTA’s Statement of Faith and must conduct themselves in accordance with the religious beliefs and practices that flow from that Statement of Faith and CRISTA’s Christian Community Policy.
Among those employees and employment applicants who agree with and support without reservation and abide by the Statement of Faith and CRISTA’s Christian Community Policy, CRISTA does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic. Based on its religious beliefs, CRISTA values and respects the dignity of all persons and appreciates the diversity of God’s creation
Apply here: https://jobs.jobvite.com/cristaministries/job/o0z7mfwM/apply
Job Posting here: https://crista.org/open-positions/?p=job%2Fo0z7mfwM
Director, CLS Law School Fellows
Law Student Ministries Coordinator
Mission & Vision
Statement of Faith
Board of Directors
CLS National Conference
The Christian Lawyer
Journal of Christian Legal
Cross & Gavel Podcast
Find a CLA Clinic
Find a Christian Attorney
Help with a Religious
Renew Your Membership
Partner with CLS
Find an Attorney Chapter
Find a Law Student Chapter