Job Opportunity: Gift Planning Attorney
Headquartered in Alpharetta, Georgia, National Christian Foundation (NCF) is a 501(c)(3) charitable grantmaking ministry that provides creative giving solutions and inspires biblical generosity among Christian families, advisors, and charities. NCF has received over $21 billion in contributions and made over $15 billion in giver-recommended grants to more than 71,000 charities. NCF is an industry leader in accepting gifts of appreciated assets such as stocks, real estate, and business interests, which enable givers to save taxes and maximize charitable gifts. We combine a faith-based approach and like-minded local presence with the support and expertise of a trusted national organization. Learn more at www.ncfgiving.com
The Gift Planning Attorney (GPA) serves as a member of NCF’s Gift Planning (GP) Team and is responsible for delivering technical gift, tax, estate and charitable planning information, but not counsel or legal representation, through presentations, illustrations, proposals and other deliverables to the professional counsel of current and prospective givers, NCF and affiliate staff, and various other constituents to encourage and facilitate tax-wise charitable giving solutions. The GPA will deliver such services in a pleasant, honest, highly professional and technically accurate manner, centered on the charitable mission of NCF but with due regard to the donors’ well-being and charitable goals, while operating within NCF’s policies, processes and structure and in coordination with NCF’s other internal departments.
This position may be remote but successful candidate must reside in one of the following states: AL, AR, CO, CT, FL, GA, IL, KS, KY, MI, MN, MO, MT, NC, PA, SC, TN
Reports to: Gift Planning Attorney Team Lead
- Bachelor’s degree is required, preferably in business, finance or related area
- Juris Doctorate (JD) degree is also required with at least 10 years of practice as an attorney
- Thorough understanding and experience with complicated tax, business, and charitable giving strategies and techniques.
- Knowledge of charitable, estate, and gift planning laws and other related areas of the law, including income, partnership and S-corporation tax law and regulations
- Experience using MS Office applications (Word, PowerPoint, Excel), intranet, internet. Experience with GP software (Crescendo or PG Calc) is also preferable.
Duties & Responsibilities
General Delivery of GP services
- Consistently delivers GP services in a competent, highly professional, friendly manner within the GP Team service standards, with due regard for the givers’ well-being and charitable goals.
- Communicates with givers, advisors and NCF and affiliate staff and other constituents regarding gift planning issues for gift opportunities (but refrains from, and disclaims, providing legal, tax, or other
professional advice or representation to givers or prospects).
- In coordination with NCF Relationship Managers (RMs), develops new and enhances existing relationships with major givers and their advisors by providing high quality direct contact, discussion, and ideas.
- Analyzes a broad range of complex laws and regulations affecting NCF, including but not limited to federal and state laws and IRS regulations such as income, partnership and S-corporation tax laws affecting gift, estate and tax planning.
- Develops, cultivates and maintains strong relationships with other NCF staff and affiliates with whom GPA regularly interacts, particularly national and local RMs, the Complex Gift Solutions team and the General Counsel’s Office.
- Develops GP proposals, illustrations, templates, and other deliverables, as needed, in crafting appropriate charitable planning options for consideration by givers and their advisors.
- Explores new environments for opportunities to expand reach of GP services consistent with NCF’s policies, procedures and processes in the furtherance of its mission/vision.
- Researches technical legal and tax issues related to charitable giving, as needed or assigned.
- Works proactively to ensure proper coordination, communications and collaboration of efforts within GP Team structure and achievement of GP Team and personal goals and strategies.
- Participates in required meetings and trainings with national and local staff, and advisors.
- Conducts detailed legal research on assigned topics or projects, resulting in legal memos or reports fully summarizing the research findings and recommendations in a concise, clearly written and professional manner.
- Scrupulously adheres to all laws and professional ethical rules, including those regarding the unauthorized practice of law and conflicts of interest.
GP Education/Training for Others
- In collaboration with GP Team and other NCF departments, participates in development and implementation of training plans for NCF and various constituents which require involvement of GP Team.
- Assists with and supports development, use and organization of technical and other presentations by GP Team for various constituencies, including sharing all presentations with GP Team Lead for proper storage and organization.
- Develops and maintains an excellent working knowledge and understanding of relevant laws and regulations pertaining to gift, estate and tax planning to permit delivery of GP information and ideas offered by NCF with a high degree of technical accuracy and competency.
- Maintains an active license to practice law.
- Develops and maintains an excellent working knowledge and understanding of NCF’s innovative giving strategies and services.
Other Duties as Assigned
If you are interested in serving at NCF, please apply online at www.ncfgiving.com
Applicants should be sure and read more about NCF’s vision, mission, and beliefs
Job posted 10/24/2022
Director, CLS Law School Fellows
Law Student Ministries Coordinator
Mission & Vision
Statement of Faith
Board of Directors
CLS National Conference
The Christian Lawyer
Journal of Christian Legal
Cross & Gavel Podcast
Find a CLA Clinic
Find a Christian Attorney
Help with a Religious
Renew Your Membership
Partner with CLS
Find an Attorney Chapter
Find a Law Student Chapter