You: An experienced policy professional committed to the cause of liberty with a track record of finding creative solutions and promoting them in the halls of state legislatures. Your role is to research, develop, and promote policies that protect liberty and individual rights. You are fascinated by the legislative process and are excited by the opportunity to work with policymakers to make our reform proposals a reality.
Them: Regulatory bureaucrats, mayors, governors, legislators, and others in federal and state agencies undermining or denying Americans’ rights every day. And then there are the policymakers that are with us in spirit but don’t know where to turn for meaningful and effective solutions.
Us: We fight back. Pacific Legal Foundation is the nation’s first and most successful public interest law firm dedicated to vindicating individual liberty. PLF has an unmatched record in the United States Supreme Court, with 14 victories out of 16 cases litigated before the Court. We also have more than a hundred active cases across the nation. We leverage that long history of litigation success along with our strategic research into cutting edge policy solutions at every level of government.
We are a next-generation public interest law firm. This means we aren’t interested in doing the same thing as everyone else. We aspire to be the best player in a constantly changing game.
About Pacific Legal Foundation:
Pacific Legal Foundation identifies and litigates important legal issues to set landmark precedents that will benefit Americans nationwide. Using strategic and principled litigation, communications, and research, we battle for freedom in the nation’s courts and the court of public opinion.
As a national nonprofit organization, PLF has brick-and-mortar offices in Sacramento, California; Arlington, Virginia; and Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, although approximately half of the staff work from home offices across the country. This position can be based in a virtual office but the remote candidate will need to travel to Arlington, Virginia on a monthly basis.
The Pacific Legal Foundation covers 100% of medical, dental, and vision insurance premiums (50% of dependent’s premiums) for all full-time employees. In addition to comprehensive health, a strong paid leave package, and retirement benefits, you’ll find advancement programs, mentoring relationships, and performance incentives to keep your career in high gear. PLF provides training for new hires through a combination of instruction and project experience. Employees are empowered to broaden their responsibilities by taking on new projects and are encouraged to take advantage of ongoing opportunities to learn and explore their individual potential.
About the State Legal Policy Deputy Director Opening:
You will work with the Legal Policy Director, Legal Policy Deputy Director, and PLF attorneys to develop and promote policies that promote liberty and individual rights. You will draft legislation, testify in committees, coordinate with policy allies, write blogs and op-eds, attend conferences, and do media hits supporting our mission and vision.
Getting down to brass tacks, your specific job duties will likely include:
- Working with PLF attorneys and the policy team to develop innovative policy solutions to prevent pernicious discrimination, promote economic opportunity, fight the administrative state, and protect property rights
- Strategizing and working with policymakers to secure policy wins
- Expanding and helping lead the coalition that supports PLF’s reform agenda
- Promoting PLF and individual reforms through writing, speaking, and media hits
- Reviewing legislation and providing technical support to policymakers
- As much as 30% travel January-May to meet with legislators, give testimony, and attend coalition meetings
This role is ideal for someone with:
- 5+ years of experience moving pro-liberty legislation
- A law degree or extensive knowledge of the law
- Knowledge of and a principled passion for individual liberty, one that transcends private or other political interests
- Proof of strong writing and research skills
- A genuine interest in public speaking and legislative engagement
- Willingness to travel approximately 15-20% (and more from January to May)
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Your resume, including your experience in equality research and other relevant professional experience
- A cover letter explaining why PLF is the place for you, why you want to fight for liberty, and what distinguishes you from typical applicants
- Two writing samples: 1) research report and 2) something written for a public audience
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link:
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Director of Talent Engagement, at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please
Job Posted: 1/24/23
Director, CLS Law School Fellows
Law Student Ministries Coordinator
Mission & Vision
Statement of Faith
Board of Directors
CLS National Conference
The Christian Lawyer
Journal of Christian Legal
Cross & Gavel Podcast
Find a CLA Clinic
Find a Christian Attorney
Help with a Religious
Renew Your Membership
Partner with CLS
Find an Attorney Chapter
Find a Law Student Chapter