The mission of Good Samaritan Advocates (GSA) is to seek justice for our neighbors in need through legal aid, advocacy, and the transforming grace of Jesus Christ. GSA provides free counsel on crucial legal problems (such as evictions, family law disputes, consumer debt issues, etc.) to low-income individuals in suburban Washington, D.C. Following the direction of GSA’s Board of Directors, the Executive Director is responsible for the overall management and growth of the ministry. We are seeking a candidate (attorney or non-attorney) who is passionate about helping the needy address desperate life issues and ministering to them with the love of Christ.
1. Oversight of legal aid clinics, including clinic directors and volunteers
2. Fundraising through diversified means, including individual donors, special events, church partnerships, and grants
3. Management and growth of GSA’s finances, resources, and operations
4. Volunteer development, including recruitment, training, and coordination
5. Maintenance and expansion of referral attorney relationships
6. Promotion of GSA’s mission, including maintaining and expanding relationships with donors, churches, local ministries, the local legal community, and the general public
7. Encouraging the spiritual development of GSA volunteers
8. Possibly represent GSA clients on limited legal cases (if an attorney)
Qualifications - Though we recognize that no one person may have all of these qualifications, the ideal candidate will have or be:
• Mature Christian faith and agreement with GSA Statement of Faith and program standards
• Passion for, and experience in, serving the needy
• Experience in nonprofit management and leadership, preferably in a Christian ministry
• Experience in fundraising and nonprofit communications
• Experience in or familiarity with legal aid
• Energetic, self-motivated, and well-organized
• Entrepreneurial and visionary
• Gifted in oral and written communication
• Humble, enjoys people, and quick to learn
• Optional: J.D. , 5+ years law practice (especially in litigation or poverty law issues). Bar license in MD and/or VA preferred.
Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. Full-time or part-time position.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to the GSA Board at: email@example.com