About the IMB:
IMB’s mission is to serve Southern Baptists in carrying out the Great Commission to make disciples of all nations. More than 1.7 billion people still live with little or no access to the Gospel. IMB is an entity of the Southern Baptist Convention, the nation's largest evangelical denomination, with more than 46,000 churches and over 15 million members.
The International Mission Board, a nonprofit religious organization in Richmond, VA, is hiring for an Associate General Counsel!
Associate General Counsel (IP & Technology)
Hours: Full Time
Location: Richmond, VA
Rate: Salary commensurate with experience + great benefits!
Serve as a supporting attorney to the General Counsel to fulfill the Office of General Counsel’s mission of providing excellent legal advice with integrity that enables IMB to fulfill its vision of a multitude from every language people, tribe and nation knowing and worshipping the Lord Jesus Christ. Provide legal analysis and strategic advice to enable IMB to navigate the complex patchwork of both state and federal laws in the US and lhe laws of over 100 sovereign countries that apply to IMB personnel and its global operations. Advises IMB management and personnel of means to mitigate risk, but does not seek to avoid the inherent risk of sharing the gospel and advancing the kingdom of God in a world opposed to the gospel.
- Provide IMB leadership and field personnel general legal advice and assistance regarding home office and worldwide field operations, identifying potential legal implications and ensuring legal sufficiency of IMB programs and policies, in order to provide legal risk management that furthers and facilitates the strategic advancement of IMB’s mission.
- Review, research, and provide legal counsel regarding intellectual property issues to protect IMB’s interests.
- Review, research and provide legal counsel for IMB regarding technology issues, including review of contracts with technology vendors, legal issues involved in developing and maintaining websites and mobile applications, and domestic and international data privacy regulations.
- Draft and review contracts and other legal agreements and coordinate with outside counsel on any matters for which outside counsel is advisable or required.
- Perform other duties for IMB leadership and management as requested by General Counsel.
- 5-8 years experience, preferred.
- Juris Doctor from ABA accredited law school.
- Licensed by the Virginia State Bar.
- Advanced Analytical Skills: Spot legal issues and problems, identify trends and anomalies in complex data, and make proper inferences and recommendations based on findings.
- Advanced Project/Process Management Skills: Ability to manage a legal project from beginning to end and meet client needs. Able to utilize, design, develop and implement a variety of processes, procedures, templates and tools to accomplish job responsibilities.
- Intermediate computer skills, including ability to navigate internally developed (Field Entity Database) and off the shelf (Skype, WebEx, Contract Management Software, Workday) products for communication and project management.
- Advanced Written and Oral Communication Skills: Drafting emails and legal memoranda on complex issues; reviewing and drafting a variety of legal documents from jurisdictions around the world; craft and deliver recommendations and presentations on simple to complex legal topics to a wide variety of audiences for a variety of purposes - to persuade, to educate and to raise awareness.
- Strong Quantitative and Strategic Skills: Able to design, develop and implement tools to accomplish job responsibilities. Able to assess and develop business strategies, considering internal capabilities and constraints, competitive dynamics, and external forces.
- Strong Leadership Skills: Able to build team relationships; identify, gather, and evaluate relevant information needed to make informed decisions; and navigate through ambiguity, obstacles, and multi-faceted (and at times contradictory) individual and organizational goals.
- Strong Cross-Cultural Skills: Able to work with professionals and other individuals from different countries and cultures to secure relevant information necessary to provide applicable legal and strategic advice.
- Strong Presentation Skills: Able to portray findings and recommendations in a variety of visual and written formats.