Advocates International (“AI”) seeks a President & Chief Executive Officer. Reporting to the
Board of Directors, the President & Chief Executive Officer will lead the organization into a
season of even greater fruitfulness by refining its strategic direction, enhancing its global
operations, and strengthening its financial profile.
Please send any nominations or application materials (including the completed Expression of Interest document and a Curriculum Vitae) to Jeff Brauch (email@example.com), AI Board chair, and Pete Rathbun (firstname.lastname@example.org), a fellow Board member and the chair of our Search Committee. Please submit any applications by March 20, 2021.
AI’s mission is to inspire and mobilize advocates globally to “do justice with compassion.” AI
envisions a world in which all peoples are able to thrive in hope, peace, and justice, within
societies committed to freedom of religion or belief and the rule of law with integrity. AI seeks
to encourage lawyers around the world to bear witness to Jesus Christ through the legal
profession. AI pursues these goals through a global network of Christian lawyers and other
“advocates” who coordinate on a national, regional, and global basis.
AI was formed in the early 1990s. The aftermath of the collapse of the Soviet Union gave birth
to a number of new or refashioned nation states that sought to incorporate democratic ideals and
norms. AI responded by offering assistance to lawyers, legislators, and judges on the
ground. Through relationships with these individuals – often referred to as “innkeepers” – AI
helped strengthen the rule of law, human rights, and other hallmarks of freedom within their
From its initial focus on Eastern and Central Europe, AI has grown into a global network
connected across more than 100 countries on six continents. The network is now represented by
a Global Council made up of leaders from around the world. AI currently focuses its efforts on
six areas of advocacy. These are the Rule of Law, Religious Freedom, Justice for the Poor,
Family and Community, Peace and Reconciliation, and the Sanctity of Human Life.
AI has numerous strengths, such as an active prayer network, proven leaders in various regions,
solid partnerships with like-minded organizations, and faithful donors. Building on this
foundation, the President & Chief Executive Officer will develop and execute on an effective
strategy for growth and impact at what the Board believes is an inflection point in AI’s history.
This will require deep engagement with the AI network. The President & Chief Executive officer
will identify, equip, and coordinate AI leaders around the world – including via travel to
countries in which AI is operating. In addition, the President & Chief Executive Officer will
devote significant attention to growing AI’s budget, cultivating new donors, and implementing
updated fundraising methods.
Advocates International is a 501(c)(3) organization incorporated in the State of Virginia.
• Full Title: President & Chief Executive Officer, Advocates International (CEO)
• Reports to: Board of Directors of Advocates International (Board)
• Term: Full-time; terminable at election of the Board
• Location: AI headquarters in Alexandria, VA, or such other location as agreed with the
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Is responsible for the effective and efficient management and administration of AI and
leadership in promoting and implementing its programs and strategies.
2. Works with the Board to develop strategies for achieving AI’s mission, vision, goals,
and financial viability.
3. Clearly articulates and models AI’s mission, vision, and values to the staff, board,
funders, and other constituencies; exhibits and inspires visionary thinking and action
in others consistent with the mission.
4. Seeks, evaluates, and acts upon opportunities for innovation to change, grow, and improve.
5. Prepares, effectively manages, and ensures compliance of an annual budget to be approved by
6. Identifies, cultivates, and solicits donor prospects; secures sufficient funding to ensure
accomplishment of mission objectives.
7. Prepares, implements and administers AI’s fundraising initiatives to ensure sufficient
funds for the ongoing operation consistent with the approved budget, and develops new
sources of funding for future programs.
8. Provides suitable and timely information to the board about key issues for discussion,
analysis, and decision-making that allows the board to set the agenda and focus of
9. Recruits, develops and retains a capable staff and manages its performance effectively
through clear job descriptions, periodic feedback, training, and performance reviews.
10. Uses a Biblical mode of dispute resolution in respect of any other matter that may
arise in the carrying out of the duties of the CEO and other AI
11. Leads and inspires the development and continuing vibrancy of the global network of
Christian lawyers, working in collaboration with the AI Global Council and national and
regional fellowships of Christian lawyers and represents AI to these networks, the broader
Christian community, and the general public.
12. Ensures that AI is appropriately represented at conferences, workshops, and other
gatherings relevant to its mission and vision, both within and outside of the AI
13. Nurtures strategic collaborative relationships with organizations, national or
international, on matters of mutual interest and concern.
14. Facilitates the development and support of AI student groups at law schools
throughout the AI network.
15. Performs such other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned to the CEO from time to
©2021 ADVOCATES INTERNATIONAL®
• Lawyer and disciple of Jesus Christ who maintains a Biblical lifestyle
and agrees with AI “Statement of Faith”
• Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
• High level of integrity/discretion and maturity in Christian character
• Diligent and goal-oriented
• Results-oriented and Kingdom process-led (including the ability to execute on
decisions, follow through with opportunities, and generally operationalize vision)
• Willing to engage in international travel in accordance with approved budget
• Positive “can-do” attitude
• Familiar with donor/membership/event software
• Website/social media skills a plus
• Commitment to spiritual development, personally and with others
• Excellent communicator with cross-cultural understanding and ambassadorial
• Strong history in ministry (experience in leading Christian law associations would be a
plus) and evident gentleness and love of our Lord and people.
• Good fundraiser