Open Hands is hiring!
PARALEGAL Job Description
Open Hands Legal Services seeks a paralegal to support Open Hands attorneys and staff. Our vision is the transformation of all lives through the power of justice and hope. Our mission is to uphold the cause of the poor and the oppressed in New York City. We bring free legal services directly to community members at host non-profit organizations throughout the city and break down the legal barriers to their success, enabling individuals to flourish and embody the full persons they are intended to be. More information about us is available at www.openhandslegalservices.org.
The paralegal will work closely with Open Hands’ staff in the office and at mobile legal aid desks at soup kitchens and shelters across New York City. Legal aid desk assistance involves setting up and breaking down, maintaining supplies, coordinating operation of the Legal Aid Desk, and conducting initial screening of applicants. Other responsibilities include: processing preliminary case information into the case management system; serving as a liaison between attorneys and clients; handling client correspondence; obtaining court files and other documents; maintaining case files; preparing and assembling court papers; and other duties as assigned. The paralegal may also assist with case preparation, prepare written reports and memoranda, and serve subpoenas and other legal documents.
The ideal candidate possesses an entrepreneurial and sacrificial spirit, a deep love for our clients and a demonstrated commitment to Open Hands’ mission and values. S/he is a self-starter and responds well to quickly changing demands with flexibility. S/he is highly collaborative and works well with other staff members. The ability to handle a high volume of case work and take initiative is critical to this position.
- Mature Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed
- Proven ability to solve problems independently and creatively
- Highly organized and proactive
- Strong computer skills
- Strong interpersonal and advocacy skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to interact with diverse populations in a sensitive and professional manner
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit combined with sacrificial service to our clients and team
- A second language – especially Spanish, Cantonese or Mandarin – is strongly preferred
- This a full-time position which requires Saturday morning and weeknight meetings throughout New York City.
- Salary commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Paralegal” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and must be received by February 28, 2019.