Provides legal and human resource support in various functional areas of Human Resources and Brotherhood Corporate Initiatives including legal research and analysis, contract drafting, project management and special projects.
In this attorney role, you’ll wear many hats – sometimes in the same week or day. You might work with ministry to draft position descriptions or conduct a Title IX training (servant hat) then coordinate a corporate strategic project with a cross departmental team (business hat) Then you’d switch to your HR/Legal hat to research a Brotherhood/ministry employee benefit issue, draft contracts, or coach managers/employees through a difficult situation. Our ideal candidate would bring a passion and understanding for our mission of “Advancing the Kingdom” by serving ministries including churches, schools, colleges, camps–to name a few. We welcome all levels of experience, but comp is based on 2 years. If you want a calling more than a job, this is for you.
POSITION ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Undertakes HR and corporate projects as assigned (including, but not limited to, document and legal analysis, contract drafting, employment law analysis, company publication assistance, coordinating operational initiatives, and making HR/legal presentations to groups).
- Researches and applies statutes, common law, and other applicable legal concepts in order to effectively accomplish HR & corporate projects.
- Counsels managers and employees regarding employment issues.
- Oversees employment related disciplinary issues and investigations as requested by the Vice President – Human Resources.
- Researches, counsels, and implements employee benefit and practice compliance, such as COBRA, FMLA, FLSA, ACA, and HIPAA.
- Trains on human resources functions as directed by the Vice-President – Human Resources.
- Collaborate with HR staff on all functional disciplines (benefits, compensation, hiring and recruitment, training, special events, communications, and other operational areas)
- Represent the Human Resources function internally and externally with professional expertise, innovative approaches and a cooperative attitude in order to advance the corporate and departmental goals and objectives.
- Administers HR services and products offered through MinistryWorks.
- Serve on cross company teams as requested.
- Assists the Vice President – Human Resources with special projects as assigned.
- Respond to external inquiries, vendor requests and routine employee questions as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must possess excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Must have excellent “people skills” including listening, evaluating, and determining appropriate follow-up.
- Must possess knowledge of employment practice and benefit law and benefit and salary issues.
- Must be able to strictly guard confidential information.
- Must have the ability to handle confrontational situations in a productive manner.
- Must possess strong prioritization skills and work well under pressure with multiple deadlines.
- Should possess broad knowledge of Brotherhood Mutual, ACG, and MinistryWorks company operations.
- Effectively interface with external contacts, Brotherhood employees, managers, and department staff members.
- Because the company’s niche is the church and related ministries market, and because effective service requires a thorough understanding of this market, persons in this position must be familiar with church operations, and must conduct themselves in a manner that will neither alienate nor offend persons within this target niche.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree and a JD degree.
- Must have at least 1 year of legal experience in a corporate or law firm environment, preferably with emphasis in employment law, corporate law, or benefit/tax law.
- CPCU, PHR, or SPHR designations desired.